2009-08-20

Stuggling against poverty by Noor El Swairki

by Noor El Swairki

"Is it fair for the poor to be poorer?" queried a bitter Hanan, while cleaning one of the windows where she works. Hanan, like many other women living in the Gaza strip, has taken up work as a housekeeper since the war ended.

Hanan's husband has been unable to find work, which has left her being the main provider in the household. Her household consists of her husband and nine children. They live in a rented apartment, since their own home was destroyed. While her daughter will graduate next year, Hanan fears she will not be able to find work and will join the growing number of the jobless in the Gaza strip.

With a fake smile that quickly faded, Hanan said "I always feel sorry for myself and my children; they are not used to the reality of my job, but know it is necessary. This job is better than begging and, they know, without it, there is no future." Any job is better than none at all, even if the pay is minuscule.

"The money gained from my work isn't even enough for our basic necessities such as food and education; I can hardly buy clothes or shoes for my children." Hanan has resorted to asking her employer for any clothes or shoes, even if they are not suitable, so that she might alter and give them to her children.

"Many times I shared my own shoes with my daughters. Once in the winter I had to go to work with an open toe shoe. My feet were freezing. I cried all the way; I hated my hard life," said a crying Hanan.

"If only I was a refugee," she said. As a refugee, Hanan would receive assistance from UNRWA. 85% of Palestinians living in the Gaza strip depend on international aid for their basic human needs.

Despite the humanitarian assistance received, there is no reduction in poverty. A report for the institution of developments studies (IDS) in Gaza states that more than 80% of Palestinians families live under the poverty line, with 44.6% of them living in complete misery.

Hanan's story is not unique, unfortunately. The horrible conditions, in which Palestinians live, as a result of the siege and Gaza war, have led many to take up positions they would have never considered in the past. Hanan, like many others who have taken up similar work, wishes to take a rest. Until the siege ends, it will remain only a wish because life is better than death.

No comments:

Post a Comment